Even the names of some of these preservatives are scary… propionates? Sodium benzoate? Seriously? According to health.com, some of these preservatives are potentially dangerous carcinogens. Here are ten quick tips on avoiding synthetic substances!
10 Tips on How to Avoid Harmful Preservatives in Your Diet
1) Eat fresh, whole foods that are cooked by you.
2) Avoid processed or pre-packaged foods as much as you can
3) If you do choose pre-packaged foods, read the ingredients on the label carefully and avoid foods that have harmful preservatives.
4) Choose foods that contain natural preservatives such as ascorbic acid, citric acid, vinegar, salt and sugar. However, do watch and limit your overall intake of salt and sugar as overconsumption is detrimental to your health.
5) Avoid processed or cured meat as much as possible.
6) If you feel like having the occasional ham & bacon , look for nitrate- and nitrite-free bacon and other processed meats at your local butcher shop.
7) You can make your own cold meat for sandwiches. When you cook a roast, why not cook a bit extra, slice it into portions and then thaw and use as required.
8) If you want to avoid preservatives in bread, you can bake your own bread at home. Invest in a bread maker which is easy to use. Nothing beats the wonderful aroma of freshly baked bread!
9) Ask for preservative-free bread and bread products at your local bakery.
10) Go organic. One of the safest and easiest ways to avoid preservatives is by eating certified organic food and food products.
Go to theorganicsinstitute.com for more information on specific preservatives!
Post by Carolyn Smith