Everyone has run into this problem. You want to go out to eat, but you don’t want to ruin your whole diet. After all, eating well can reduce your risk of colon cancer, according to cancerresearchuk.org, and you want to stay healthy! But how? Here are some tips!
- Avoid appetizers, bread, cocktails, etc before your meal. They are just sources of extra fat, sodium, and calories
- Ask for everything on the side! Salad dressing, butter, sauce, gravy. That way you are in control of how much you eat.
- Just because it is in a salad doesn’t make it healthy. Avoid excessive cheese, and go for the fresh greens and raw veggies!
- Try choosing fresh fruit or sorbet over the chocolate lava cake for dessert.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for healthy substitutions! Most restaurants would be happy to accommodate someone looking for less butter, smaller portions, or something other than french fries with their meal.
- Ask for a to-go box to be brought with your meal, and immediately put half of it into the box! Portion control made easy.
For more tips go to heart.org!
Post by Carolyn Smith