5/8/13 – Leslie Clem Edmunds from Healthy Hearts Nutrition
Often, my clients inquire about what I eat for dinner. They say… “I don’t have time for intricate meals, I just go for boxed or bagged dinners for convenience.”
Lean protein (tilapia, pork chop, salmon, steak/burger, chicken breast or beans) and vegetables are my go to…. almost every night.
…. and I hate to break it to you…. but it’s super duper easy and quick!
Tonight, it was tilapia, spiced up with a pecan crust. yumm.
Fish is a great dinner option. Fish is a good source of protein and, unlike fatty meat products, it’s not high in saturated fat. Fish is also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids benefit the heart of healthy people, and those at high risk of — or who have — cardiovascular disease. Research has shown that omega-3 fatty acids decrease risk of arrhythmias (abnormal heartbeats), which can lead to sudden death. Omega-3 fatty acids also decrease triglyceride levels, slow growth rate of atherosclerotic plaque, and lower blood pressure (slightly). The American Heart Associationrecommends eating fish (particularly fatty fish) at least two times (two servings) a week. Each serving is 3.5 ounce cooked, or about ¾ cup of flaked fish. Fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, herring, lake trout, sardines and albacore tuna are high in omega-3 fatty acids.
Pecan Crusted Tilapia!
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour, I used almond flour
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 8 oz pecans
- Tilapia fillets ( I did three small fillets)
- Oil for frying
- Please pecans in a sealed plastic bag, crush with a rolling pin
- Beat egg in a shallow bowl, add 1/8 cup of water, continue beating until fluid
- Combine flour, salt, pepper, paprika on plate
- Place crushed pecans on separate plate
- Pour oil in frying pan
- Pat tilapia fillets with paper towel to remove moisture.
- Coat both sides of fillet in egg mixture, then coat both sides in flour mixture, egg mixture again, and then coat both sides in pecan mixture
- Fry fillets in oil, 5 minutes or so each side